Tuesday, May 6, 2014

So Begins The Journey

Despite being a member of the ever esteemed video games press industry for the past five years, I've never been a fan of personal blogs. Sure, I will go on Twitter and Tweet like a madman when I want to discuss random stuff or blow up some spots, but when it comes to discussing things in a format like this I've always been hesistant.

Yet here I am, chronicling my journey of starting from scratch and building a new video game site in the year 2014.  Being a person that was essentially reared on magazines such as GamePro (RIP), The Official PlayStation Magazine U.S. (RIP), and PlayStation Magazine (RIP), I've always been into video game journalism - something that I think most people these days aren't.  There are certainly those who have gigs at some of the big sites, such as Polygon and Gamespot, who have a passion for games and discussing them, but for the most part it seems like those who create original video game sites do it merely to acquire free games or to have a resume for whenever they seek a job within the games industry (which deserves a Goodluck Bro given how volatile the landscape has been in recent years).

So yes, I love video games, but I also care about how they're covered; thus I'm starting a new website. Some of you that may be reading this may know that for the last five years I was at Shogun Gamer. Having co-founded that site, I can safely say that I was the driving force behind it since I did a crapload of reviews, sought out interviews on my own, and create every piece of content I wrote under my own supervision.  Sadly, Shogun Gamer was ripped away from me so I'm starting anew.

This blog will basically serve as a chronicle of my progress made on the site in the coming months. Okay, that may sound a tad pretentious, but I promise I won't pull a Polygon documentary out of my ass and talk about the woes of going from one solid job to another.  Obviously in my case I don't have a company backing me with cash so it's much more of a grassroots effort, but this blog will mostly serve to provide my thoughts on things, how I'm approaching the site, and perhaps asking for feedback from folks.

And just to let folks know, the site could be online in late August or sometime around September. Building sites and creating content isn't easy after all.

No comments:

Post a Comment